Geert van Kesteren has started building the installation of The Believers at the former dome prison in Breda, The Netherlands. The installation was commissioned by the BredaPhoto international photo festival and produced by Forhanna. It’s one of the festival’s headlines.
Using projections on a twelve meter-wall, built out of 27 video screens, renown documentary photographer Geert van Kesteren reflects on how humankind always seeks to put its faith in a higher power. He observed religious practises in the Holy Land – by the three monotheistic religions, as well as by believers of so-called ‘dataism’.
Van Kesteren worked for years to collect the material for this exhibition, which was produced by Forhanna, in close cooperation with BreadPhoto. Israeli sound artist Eli Shargo composed a soundscape especially for the exhibition.
Additionally, Van Kesteren will release his latest book The Believers on September 5t. It’s his first book since publishing his frequently awarded Baghdad Calling, ten years ago.
BredaPhoto will be held from 5 September to 21 October on various locations in Breda. In the build-up to and during the festival, Van Kesteren will talk about his project during several events in Breda and Amsterdam. Have a look at the events below, or stay up to date via Facebook.
Photo Chronicle | Geert van Kesteren (Dutch)
- When: Monday 3 September 2018, 8:00 PM
- Where: Pakhuis de Zwijger, Piet Heinkade 179, Amsterdam
Opening of the exhibition and book launch
- When: 5 September 2018, 2:00 PM doors open / 4:00 PM book launch
- Where: Dome Prison, Nassausingel 26, Breda
Book signing at the BredaPhoto bookshop
- When: Saturday 8 September, 4:00 PM
- Where: Breda Botanique, Parade 10, Breda
Lecture by Geert van Kesteren at BredaPhoto (EN)
- When: Sunday 9 September, 11:00 AM
- Where: Breda Botanique/City Archives, Parade 10, Breda
Artist talk with… Geert van Kesteren (Dutch)
- When: 12 September 2018, 8:00 PM
- Where: PHOTO 020, William Barlowstraat 157, Amsterdam