'To Infinity and Beyond'A collaborative project between Forhanna Foundation & BredaPhoto 2018.
In 2011, the curators of BredaPhoto assigned Willem Poelstra to develop the story ‘for Hanna, Future Stories from the Past…’ which was to be exhibited at the photo festival in 2012. Poelstra’s Forhanna Foundation is excited to collaborate with BredaPhoto once again. The foundation invites you to submit your project to this open call which may result in a co-production with the foundation and an exhibition at BredaPhoto 2018.
‘To Infinity and Beyond’, the 8th edition of BredaPhoto in 2018 will explore the impact of ongoing progress in science. What has science done for us? What will it do for the future? Will it bring us nothing but progress? Or are we at risk of opening a Pandora’s box full of unwelcome surprises?
The Forhanna Foundation has put out an open call for projects on the theme of ‘To Infinity and Beyond’. Forhanna invites you to submit your documentary photography and/or cross-media project on this theme. This includes projects in progress or those which have yet to start. The winning project will be selected in collaboration with the curators of BredaPhoto. The Forhanna Foundation will provide €7.500 in funding for your project and will provide guidance up to the exhibition at BredaPhoto 2018, from 5 September to 21 October.
Forhanna has stipulated some important conditions related to the content of the project:
- The artist must have a demonstrable personal involvement in the subject-matter. For example, your personal background may be interwoven with the subject, the subject may be part of your own reality, or the project may demonstrate a lifetime involvement.
- The project must demonstrate the potential for long-term documentary content.
Regarding the theme, topics could be the aftermath of science or the effects at a social level, and not necessarily only the science itself.
How to submit
Check the application guidelines
Fill in the application form
Send all the documents
About the Forhanna Foundation
Forhanna Foundation was established in 2017 by Willem Poelstra to support in-depth documentary photography and cross-media projects with which the artists have a strong personal involvement and to manage Poelstra’s oeuvre. The foundation focuses on documentaries in the form of in-depth and long term projects, related to the aftermath of conflict and the contemporary issues which arise from it.
Based on Poelstra’s vision and approach, Forhanna believes that personal engagement in the subject, profound journalism, and research are integral to gaining intelligent insight and deepening the output of the visual lens.
Forhanna facilitates the production of photographic projects through exhibitions, publications, and other online and offline activities. The aim is to stimulate public dialogue, reach and engage a wide audience and generate more empathy and awareness.
BredaPhoto is a biannual international photo festival in Breda, in the Netherlands. From 5 September to 21 October 2018, the 8th edition will take place. A significant number of outspoken photographers, both Dutch and international, will exhibit their work outdoors and in art centres in town. BredaPhoto celebrates photography.
Since 2003, BredaPhoto International Photo Festival has been organised in the city centre of Breda. The festival offers a mixture of fresh talent and national and international headliners and, in past editions, has hosted photographers such as Martin Parr, Carl De Keyzer, Pieter Hugo, Bloomberg and Chanarin, Todd Hido and Yamamoto Masao.
This project is a cross-over of your knowledge and expertise with that of the experts from or provided by the Forhanna Foundation. You must have an open mind in regard to our knowledge and have a strong desire to collaborate. During a period of one year, you will attend several meetings to discuss and produce: content, the purpose and development of your project, a production plan and financial framework, edits, collaboration and dissemination.
The application must contain the application form which includes:
- The content of the project proposal in a maximum of 400 words: What, why, how, result, impact and relevance.
- Online portfolio of the candidate’s previous projects and, if available, of the proposed project. If the candidate needs to upload work, provide no more than 10 images per project each of about 1 MB in size.
- Online bio or a PDF of the candidate’s professional background. And if relevant, the bios of researchers involved.
- Description of how the candidate intends to spend the prize money.
Please use this application form
Eligible candidates and application
- Support is only given to individuals who are proven professional in the field of documentary photography/visual storytelling.
- If you have no photography degree, you can demonstrate a serious track record of a minimum of two projects which are published either online or in printed material.
- The award is global and open to applicants from any country.
- There is no age limit.
- Deadline for application is 16 October 2017.
- This call only covers project-related expenses, and not operation costs for an organisation.
- No support will be provided retroactively. Projects in progress are eligible for support, but this support is exclusively intended to cover the costs that are still required to complete the project.
Eligible Duration and other considerations
- The project must be (partly) implemented at BredaPhoto 2018.
- The selected project will be a co-production. The award winner complies with the involvement of the Forhanna organization in the implementation or expansion of the project and distribution of the results achieved after BredaPhoto.
- The award winner will donate a fibre 16×20 print to the Forhanna Foundation
- If a winner, your work will be featured on our and our partner’s website (details to be confirmed).
- If you are the winning candidate you must agree that a selection of up to 10 images can be used rights free by the Forhanna Foundation and our partners to announce and promote the award.
Share this page